The compass/star reach is an excellent measure of ankle mobility, proprioception and strength. This tool can be used for an outcome measurement and as a rehabilitation tool following ankle injury or for balance training.
- Stand on the affected leg
- Maintaining a level pelvis, reach as far forward, diagonal, side and behind as you can
- You may steady yourself between each direction if required
- Attempt to reach as far forward with the opposing leg as possible whilst maintaining your balance and control
- Further directions may be progressed by your Physiotherapist
- The knee of the standing leg is not collapsing to the inside of the knee
- Your trunk isn’t shifting to counteract the movement