The calf muscles are made up of two muscles they are integrated into the achilles tendon. They are essential to allow us to get from A to B. They are involved in ankle, knee and foot mobility. The main body of the calf influences the knee and the ankle joint. This exercise is to the target the smaller muscle of the calf
- Stand with one foot in front of the other hip distance apart
- Both feet facing forward.
- Keeping your back heel on the ground, gently bend the back knee
- Bend the front knee
- You should feel a stretch around the back of the ankle joint and achilles area
- Hold the stretch for 20-30 secs
- Repeat on both sides
- The sensation should be a strong stretch, not pain.
- If you experience pain, stop the exercise or reduce the lean forward in the movement.
- If you continue to experience pain, speak to your physiotherapist