Tightness in the gluteal muscles can cause issues with hip, knee and lower back mobility. This in turn can result in stiffness and pain. Releasing this area with a spiky ball or a roller can be of great benefit for the back and lower limb.
- Sit in long leg position or with knees bent up
- Arms are behind you to allow you to use them for support
- Place the spiky under your buttocks
- Place your weight on your arms and roll your buttocks up, down and side to side on the ball
- You can change the intensity by increasing your weight on the ball
- If you find a sore spot you can hold and wait on that point until the tightness subsides
- Complete for 3-4 mins
- The spiky ball can be significantly sore when using it to release the fascia and muscles.
- Exercise caution and use to the level of soreness you can tolerate
- Be mindful of not causing pain in the arms as you weight bear through them – be aware of any limitations
- If you are unsure, please speak to your physiotherapist