Utilised for ankle mobility and strength the heel toe raise is a great functional exercise. As you alternate between the heel and toe lift, the balance is also challenged.
- Position yourself in front of a wall or bench if required for balance
- Lift the heels so the weight is completely in the toes
- Slowly lower and transfer the weight to the heels lifting the toes towards the roof
- Move slowly to articulate through the foot between each movement
- Avoid using momentum to ‘rock’ through the movement
- Ensure the ankle doesn’t roll out at the top of the heel raise
- Maintain an equal weight distribution in the heels/toes