- Perform lying on your back with the knees gently bent and feet firmly planted
- It is best to complete this exercise without any distractions and in a calming space
- Contract the pelvic floor as if you were trying to stop yourself from passing wind
- Other cues: picking up a blueberry with your back passage, zipping from vagina to anus, walking into ice cold water.
- Completely relax after the contraction
- When contracting ensure that the muscles of the thigh and buttocks don’t activate
- Complete these 3 variations in contraction:
- 10x fast reps
- 8-12 reps of 6-8 second maximum voluntary contraction
- 60 seconds submaximal 30-50% contraction
These should always be taught by your Physiotherapist to ensure correct technique. It should not feel like the pelvic floor is bearing down or like there is any heaviness through the pelvic floor.