Scapular (i.e shoulder blade) control is an important component of arm and neck movement due to its various muscle attachments to these areas. You may have shoulder or neck pain due to a lack of scapular muscle control (i.e. strength). This is a simple exercise to promote scapular muscle strength and control.
- Lie on your back holding on to your prescribed dumbbell with your arm extended towards the ceiling
- Maintain a straight elbow while completing the following movements below or as guided by your physiotherapist:
- Press the dumbbell towards the ceiling and lower back to the start position
- Draw little circles clockwise then anticlockwise with the dumbbell
- Draw different shapes with the dumbbell
- Write the alphabet/your name with the dumbbell
- This exercise can also be completed with a ball or without the dumbbell entirely