The following exercises isolate the rotator cuff in a position of shoulder abduction. The variance is the resistance which is shown with a theraband or with a free hand weight. Your Physiotherapist will determine which resistance is appropriate for you and your rehabilitation needs.
- Anchor the resistance band behind you at the level of the shoulders or shoulder blades
- Take the band with the target limb and step to the side- away from the band
- Hold the shoulder in a 90 degree angle, with the elbow bent so the wrist stacks above the elbow
- Pull the resistance band down so the wrist moves forward whilst maintaining a bent elbow
- The movement mimics hitting a nail with a hammer
- Return to the start position with control
- Repeat as per Physiotherapists instructions.
Free weight instructions:
- Using a hand weight at a load that has been prescribed, come into the above position
- The weight will stack directly above the elbow with the elbow in line with the shoulder
- To move into internal rotation: lower the weight in front of you as shown above and return to start position
- Repeat as per Physiotherapists guidelines