Sumo squat is an excellent exercise to increase overall hip and leg strength. It targets the quadriceps, adductors, hamstrings, glutes, calves and lower back muscles. Sumo squats can also improve your balance.
- Stand with your feet out wide and your toes pointing out
- Keeping your weight on your heels start to bend your knees and lower your hips
- Go down until your thighs are parallel to the floor
- Stand back up squeezing your glutes
- Further directions may be progressed by your Physiotherapist
- Exercise with mild pain. Stop if pain becomes disabling.
- Keep your feet firm on the ground
- Make sure you don’t round your back or fold forward when you lower down