The upper trapezius is a very common contributor to neck pain. Tightness through these muscles is particularly common in desk / office workers due to prolonged periods working at computers. Regular stretching may help to reduce tightness / muscle spasm.
How to Perform the Upper Trapezius Stretch
- Start by sitting in a chair with your shoulders relaxed.
- Tilt your head to one side (imagine that you’re bringing your ear towards your shoulder).
- Use the arm of the side you’re tilting towards and place it on top of your head to gently pull your ear further towards your shoulder.
- Sustain as per Physiotherapist guidelines.
- This is a sustained stretch; avoid bouncing movements or stretching into pain.