The levator scapulae muscles are often implicated in neck pain. These stretches can prove helpful in alleviating built up tension and tightness.
How to Perform the Levator Scapulae Stretch
- Start by sitting in a chair with your shoulders relaxed.
- Turn your head 45 degrees to one side and look down, tucking your chin into your chest (this position should make you look like your looking at your underarm).
- Use the arm of the side your looking towards to gently pull your head further down.
- You should feel a stretch on the back of your neck.
- Hold this position for 10 – 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
- This is a sustained stretch, to avoid injury please avoid bouncing movements or stretching into pain.