PNF or Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation can be utilised to gain greater mobility through a contract relax technique. Your Physiotherapist may have completed this during a session by asking you to resist a movement for a period of time followed by greater movement into the range of restriction. This can also be achieved at home using an exercise band, chair or towel.
- Lie comfortably on your back
- Bring the heel of the affected limb to the opposite knee
- Place a strong theraband around your knee
- Press the thigh into the band is if you are moving into a figure 4 position
- Hold for 5 seconds and then allow the knee to move closer towards the bed/floor
- Repeat as directed by your physiotherapist