This movement coupled with the resistance of the theraband is an excellent functional exercise for gluteal strengthening. Evidence based EMG studies have shown the position of the band around the feet in this fashion, ensures that there is greater activation of the gluteals and lesser activation of the muscles at the front of the hip.
- Secure the band around the tops of the feet
- Come into a squat position, sending the hips back and maintaining the knees over the top of the ankles
- Side step controlling the movement of the stepping foot against the band.
- As you step imagine you are passing under a shallow roof, maintaining the squat depth
- Maintain a diagonal line from the head to the tailbone
- Avoid ‘bobbing’ the head