Thumb resisted exercise are excellent exercise to increase range of movement of the multiple joints of the hand. It may help alleviate symptoms such as swelling, stiffness and pain brought on by injuries or inflammatory conditions.
- Sit comfortably by a table or bench
- Place your forearm and hand on the table with your thumb pointing up
- Interlace an elastic band around your thumb and hand
- Extend your thumb upwards until it points to the ceiling and lower back
- Further directions may be progressed by your Physiotherapist
Exercise with mild pain. Stop if pain becomes disabling